Monday, November 19, 2007

Dipping my toe in the E*Trade pool


After some more research, I've decided that the sky is not falling at E*Trade. Despite the kick in stomach it got from a full-page Wall Street Journal ad by TD Ameritrade, I know that the stock resembles Jan-Michael Vincent right now, but E*Trade is not down for the count. So far this morning, it's lost about ten percent. That's perfectly fine with me. I have no problem averaging down on this one. This company isn't going bankrupt. The only way it's folding is through a merger, probably with someone like TD Ameritrade. I don't see any better values out there. This stock is selling for half of book value. I know that more writedowns are coming in this sector, and maybe at this company. It's going to require patience to make money on this position, especially when things get uglier and the market as a whole is convulsing. It's these times of market uncertainty, when astute value investors step in and buy good companies for practically nothing.

No comments: