Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Exploit the election rally


The market has been rallying recently. There's been a lot of talk about whether or not the market has hit a bottom. The C-word(capitulation, not the other one) is on everyone's lips. Perma bears are turning bullish. In boardrooms across America, the phrases "inflection point" and "paradigm" shift are being bandied about like a volleyball by people paid enormous sums and venerated for occasionally outperforming the indexes. As a little red-haired orphan once said, "the sun'll come out tomorrow."

I see the rally and don't believe my lying eyes. I think it's an election-related and typical bear market sucker rally. Still, I'm participating. I'm not smart or agile enough to buy the SPY for a quick gain. I'm also not confident enough that this is a sucker rally to go short the market in any meaningful size. So what am I doing? I'm using the rally to raise cash, rebalance, and reasses.

Speaking of that last verb, I specifically mean E*Trade. I first started touting E*Trade in the low 2s back in November. It went as high as 5 and change, then settled into a a range of the high 2s and low 3s. As I write this, ETFC is trading at $1.95 and is down 50% YTD. It still lessing for less than book value and now for less than the cash on the balance sheet as well.

I'm debating whether or not to buy more. I would like to, but there are less risky bets out there that I'm eyeing. Excel Maritime Parners(EXM)is still selling for 1x earnings with a 14% yield. Altria and Philip Morris has single digit P/Es and juicy yields as well. Rick's Cabaret(RICK), which I think has on the best business models around period, is selling for under book value. The oil services sector has never looked so good. For a long-term value investor, this is better than being a kid in a candy shop. This is like being put in charge of Mars or Hershey.

Decisions. Decisions. I've got a lot to think about.

No comments: